Wantirna South Primary School is located on Tyner Road West in the City of Knox. This is a large residential area in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs. Our position offers the following advantages;
• located near Swinburne University Outer Eastern campus, local kindergartens, and the South Wantirna Reserve,
• proximity to Knox City shopping centre and the community library within walking distance.
The school began operating in 1940 as a result of community action. This sense of involvement has continued and should ensure a prosperous future. The current enrolment is approximately 200 pupils. Our school is known for its caring attitude to all community members. This is exemplified by:
• providing an environment that is safe and secure,
• fostering a partnership with parents who are welcome in all aspects of school life,
• providing a cooperative environment where students can share the responsibility for their own behaviour and health including the Prep-Year 6 buddy program and the development of students’ own rules and consequences,
• developing in students, qualities and life skills such as communication, inquiring minds, problem solving and creativity,
• extending pupils to their potential by encouraging, recognising and rewarding achievement and effort,
• encouraging academic excellence,
• a transition program from pre school or home to school and on to secondary colleges,
• provision of an out of school hours and holiday program.
The school encourages all children to reach their potential by providing a variety of curriculum programs to support the core areas of literacy and numeracy. By blending traditional methods of teaching with modern approaches every child is given the opportunity to realise the school’s theme of ‘Learn for Life’ Specialist teachers provide classes in: - The Arts, Physical Education, Music, Reading, special assistance and Enrichment.
To actively support these curriculum areas the following enrichment areas are provided:-
• swimming, tennis coaching, camping, excursions, visiting artists. bike education, inter-school sports, and perpetual motor program,
• choir, school production, recorder and instrumental music tuition.
• Christian Religious Education and Junior School Council.
In recognition of special achievements the school presents the following: -
• Weekly awards acknowledging classroom excellence,
• Aussie of The Month Awards • Artist of the Month Awards • Graduation ceremony for Year Six pupils
• Sports Graduate Award for Year Six pupils. Aston Shield for the Anita Spence Citizenship Award to Year Six pupils
All curriculum areas are enhanced by a comprehensive multi-media learning technology program. Pupils access world wide data and programs through the Internet via the whole school computer network.
The Wantirna South Primary School grounds consist of a large grassed playing field, basketball/netball courts, junior and senior playgrounds, rebound walls, handball courts, shaded and passive recreation areas. Wantirna South Primary School aims to provide opportunities for each child to reach their potential in a caring environment that lays a strong foundation for life long learning.